The Arab Springtime


In May of 2011 I began exploring the Arab spring by traveling to Libya and documenting the fighting and final days of Muammar Qaddafi's regime. I met many people and heard their stories. I learned their reasons for fighting and what they held at stake personally in this ideological firestorm. I captured these things through the lens of my video camera, and occasionally my iPhone. The raw footage has been released for free online by way of youtube. It is my ultimate goal to tell the story of the Arab Springtime with the words and faces I encounter as I traverse it.







My current objective is to put together an aid mission and journalistic expedition to the Syria/Lebanon region. Donations will be spent on safety equipment, medical supplies, and relief personnel. Ultimately a complete story will emerge- one that explains the military-economic logic of NATO, China, and Russia.


With luck, my level of access and overall maneuverability will be the same or better than as it was in Libya. I will gather evidence, testimony, and other pieces of material explanation for the things I capture on camera and in this way I will produce an unabashed and artless impression of this period of extreme political tumult.


The outcomes of this chaos will shape the future for decades to come and play a stern hand in determining the future of personal freedom in many other countries, NATO included, across the globe. The final outcome will depend on what we do, collectively and individually.

Once my team and I gather sufficient funds we will be able to embark. More funds than our minimum means more medical supplies- antibiotics, hemostatics, chest seals, and so on.

To reduce misery and bring light to the dark places.


No comments:

Post a Comment